The Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber is committed to accelerating the economic engine of the region by fostering innovation, connecting our resources, and elevating and advocating for our community. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Economic Development Specialist is responsible for assisting the Executive Director in managing existing and in the creation of new economic development projects, programming, and services for Wilkes-Barre Connect (Connect). The position helps Connect drive entrepreneurial and economic development services in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
The Economic Development Specialist will work with the team to carry out existing core Connect programming, including the 101 Series, Pitch, Spotlight, Honor, and Intern – while working directly with Connect clients and partners to launch and enhance special projects currently set for a 2020 launch. These special projects will focus on Workforce Development, Transportation, Financial Literacy, Social Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Development. In addition, the Economic Development Specialist will join the Connect/Chamber staff and Connect Design Team, to create new programming and initiatives that meet the need of our members and clients.
This position will also help enhance the Connect brand, to expand services to state and national clients, in an effort to grow the entrepreneurial and economic development engine of Northeast PA.
Report to: Executive Director, Wilkes-Barre Connect
Wage: Base, full-time hourly, full-benefits
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Management and execution of existing Connect core programs, including the 101 Series, Pitch, Spotlight, Honor, and Pitch.
- Assists in the launch and management of Connect special projects, in the realm of Workforce Development, Transportation, Financial Literacy, Social Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Development.
- Assists in solving problems such as removing impediments to the successful implementation of program scope, timelines, and budget.
- Serve as point of contact for the annual Wilkes-Barre Connect Conference.
- Develop visualizations, such as maps or graphics, of trends and data for Connect, including quarterly economic development reports, Connect website, and for stakeholders when requested.
- Identify and assist the Executive Director in contacting and recruiting entrepreneurs and startups to downtown Wilkes-Barre
- Aid the organization in researching other initiatives, policies, programs, and ideas for improving Connect.
- Assist in website and database maintenance in relevant program areas, to reflect economic development metrics of Connect.
- Assist the Executive Director and Controller in securing grant/loan compliance services.
- Coordinate and manage all THINK Center events, including but not limited to the booking, setup, and execution of events, tours, and presentations.
- Provide recommendations for the development of project budgets.
- Complete any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in economic development, planning, economics, finance, public policy, real estate or related field (master’s degree welcome, but not required if meet other requirements) with exposure to methodology, statistics, and analytical writing.
- Understanding of Design Thinking principles.
- Ability to research and analyze data and write/create professional and visually appealing reports/graphics.
- Microsoft and Adobe Suite software knowledge is strongly preferred, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic understanding of Economic Development terminology and programming recommended.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com.